Deep Cove Outdoors
352 Lynn Ave
North Vancouver BC
Canada V7J 2C5
View location map
Hours of operation:
10am - 6pm: 7 days a week
Deep Cove Canoe & Kayak Centre
Rentals, Lessons, Tours Location
2156 Banbury Road
North Vancouver, BC
Canada V7G 2T1
View location map
For Rentals, please contact:
Please check our hours of operation here
About Indian Arm
One of the most frequent comments we receive from guests returning from their first kayak from Deep Cove is how beautiful the area here is. It is one of the reasons a lot of people return; once they have paddled here for a couple of hours they return for a half or full day rental, or even make an overnight trip!
Indian Arm itself stretches for 18km with many stunning views and incredible scenery, and is actually an extension of the Burrard Inlet which comes in past Vancouver. It is therefore subject to small tides and currents, but for the most part is very calm and the tides and currents should have a minimal impact on your paddle. A much bigger factor will be winds, which on a hot day can create a strong inflow. There are a number of destinations that our staff can advise you on depending on how long your reservation is for and how far you want to paddle.
Wildlife on the Arm is abundant, and many guests report sightings of seals, bald eagles, otters, dear and even bears! Again, our knowledgeable staff can give you tips on where you are likely to see the most wildlife. Please keep in mind that it is important to respect the wildlife of Indian Arm. Paddlers must keep not approach seals and other animals, keeping a distance of at least 100 m.
Camping on Indian Arm
There are a number of beautiful places to camp on the Arm, at varying distances away from Deep Cove. For those looking for somewhere not too far away but far enough to escape the confines of residential Vancouver, Twin Islands are about a 2 hour paddle away from the Cove.
If you want somewhere more wild and are willing to take on a longer paddle, Berg's Landing and Granite Falls are also camping-permissible and about 4-6 hours paddle from the Cove. Overnight and 48 hour rentals are available but we recommend making early reservations as our larger kayaks do get booked up quickly. Please note that camp fires are not allowed anywhere on Indian Arm under parks regulations. It is also important to carry enough water for your trip as drinking water is not provided at any of the campsites. Please practice low impact camping by packing out all of your garbage and not disturbing the natural environment.
Before you kayak
Whether you are planning an overnight trip, or just paddling for a couple of hours, there are a number of things you need to consider before you leave home and head for the water:
- Weather Forecast:
- Check the forecast for strong wind, or the possibility of thunder or lightning as these may mean that kayak rentals are suspended.
- Rentals and tours are available rain or shine, and cancellation fees will apply if boats are cancelled with less than 48 hours notice.
- Dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions
- Waiver Forms:
- Everyone going out on the water will need to complete a Rental Agreement and Release of Liability. In order to save time at the shop, and get out on the water quicker, you can download the form here and fill it out before you come.
- Paddlers under the age of 19 need waiver forms signed by their parents or legal guardians before going out on the water. If you are bringing under-19's that are not your own children please get parental signatures on these forms before coming to the shop as we cannot let minors out on the water without this.
- Bring a change of clothing with you and a towel in case you do get a bit damp, there are cubby holes available for storing bags and you will be much more comfortable on the way home
- Bring clothing appropriate for changes in the weather. Changes in conditions are common on the Arm and a sunny day can quickly change to squalls of rain and vice versa. The better prepared you are, the better time you will have.
This year Deep Cove Canoe and Kayak Centre celebrates it's 30th Anniversary of operation! From small beginnings the shop has grown and grown and is very proud to now offer one of the largest and most comprehensive rental fleets in Canada, as well as a retail location where you can buy any kind of kayak-related equipment you could ever need.
We have grown substantially over our three decades of operations. From an original fleet of 16 canoes, 3 rowboats and a few paddleboats, we currently have 150 kayaks and canoes combined that we rent and use for kayaking/canoeing lessons, tours, and other related programmes. In 2004, we added a retail component to our business, namely, a store now called "Deep Cove Outdoors", details of which are outlined in the "Retail Operations" section below.
The success of our business operations is based on our strong involvement with the community, the expertise in the recreation and sport services we offer, also our local knowledge of the surrounding area and environment. We like to build relationships with our clients while striving to provide them with expert advice on how to broaden and enhance their lives with the services we offer, kayak lessons, tours and rentals and the products we sell, kayaks, cross-country skis, snowshoes, accessories and clothing.